Congratulations to Eileen Pinkerton for winning the M.C. Beeby Lifetime Achievement award and to Debbie Oliver who won the League Captain award. Also take note that BTA won the organization of the year award for the state of Montana. The Billings tennis community is going strong, and receiving recognition for its effort!
1) Adult Summer Tennis: The BTA will again be hosting the popular social tennis evenings every Tuesday and Thursday at Pioneer Park with Navin Marimutha and/or Stephen Gruener on site to provide light instruction/tips and arrange matches. Because all four high schools are playing their matches at Pioneer due to the poor condition of the Central courts, we are going to wait this year to start until June. Participation is free for all BTA members. To join the BTA:
-Juniors $10.00 (school age players)
- Single Membership $15.00
- Couple Membership $20.00 (2 players)
- Family Membership $25.00 (3 or more players)
Please send your check to
Billings Tennis Association
P.O. Box 21381
Billings, MT 59104
2) Speaking of poor court condition, Brad Knutson who is now working at the Parks Department has asked us all to write letters to urge the Parks to resurface our courts. Many of our public courts are beginning to show serious signs of deterioration...the Central courts have been taken offline because its too dangerous to play on them.
3) We are working on some new 2019 Programming...stay tuned for more news on that soon!
Please follow Billings Tennis Association on Facebook. It's much easier to keep our facebook page updated than it is to send out newsletters or update the webpage so we tend to post news to facebook first...our site is www.facebook.com/billingstennis. It's a public page so anyone can view it, even if you are not a facebooker! We also have a facebook "group" that is a good place for tennis players to interact with one another...anyone can post to the group page. Feel free to use it to arrange matches, sell used tennis equipment, report on court conditions, etc.
STATE OF TENNIS IN BILLINGS REPORT:
TENNIS IS GROWING IN BILLINGS, MT. My data source: George Moncure. George plays on all of our public courts at various times of the day and night all year round. He says that in 2018 there was rarely a time that at least one other court wasn't being used and this hasn't always been the case. He is convinced that tennis is on the upswing in Billings and I am too! Our BTA membership is strong, our event and tournament participation are solid. We have a great foundation to make 2019 an epic year for tennis! Happy New Year; see you on the courts!
BTA publicity chair